Tuesday 29 January 2013

Don't Judge Someone By His/Her Cover By Chase

Many people think the word “foster” means bad, non-normal, and stupid right? Well think again because I know from experience these stereotypes are not true. They are kids have had problems in the past with family or step parents and stuff like that, and you can think whatever you want, but here is a little info about my life with my Dad running a foster home.

D.J. and Jacob (not their real names) are people that were fostered when they were younger, but now they each have a job, kids, a spouse, and a family who loves them. They are good people. They have stories, and they have problems, too. But we all have problems; such as, some of us wet the bed, some of us have anger issues, and some of us have problems with our family too. All of this has nothing to do with us now because we grew up and moved on.

With my Dad running a foster home, we are so much happier. The foster kids are not nonsense; they are family. We have tournaments, and we have races. We bake together, make forts, and play outside: sunny or cold. We have fun together. They don’t think of me of the “foster dad’s daughter that does what EVER she wants” and I don’t think of them as “stupid.” We think of each other as friends and family.

When I saw the first foster kid, he was in pants WAY too big, a REALLY small shirt, and bed head hair. I thought I was going to die, but it turned out he was funny, nice, and I just did not understand why someone would not want him!!! I asked and he told me his story, and after he was done telling me I thought I was going to cry. I said that they gave up a REALLY GREAT person, because I know that it would hurt to act like nothing ever happened and to see people on the street whispering behind my back.

I guess what I’m saying is you cannot judge someone by his/her cover because YOU could be missing out on awesome friend and a REALLY GREAT PERSON.

Click here to learn more about foster care in Ontario.

1 comment:

  1. Depending on the child's environment at home with their biological parents, some kids are before off in care and with a fresh start!

    ReplyDelete